A few months ago, my husband and I strongly considered doing Whole 30, but couldn’t commit to the time it would take to prep all of the food every.single.day. That and #iheartcheese.
We decided, instead, to be intentional about eating mostly vegetables and lean protein and limiting refined sugar and carbs. Breakfast was easy; Scrambled eggs & berries. Supper was doable by making meals where carbs could be left out.
But I really struggled with lunch. By lunch time, no matter how much lean protein I ate at breakfast, I am starving and I want something fast. And by fast, I mean from empty to full plate in less than 4 minutes. I’m not exaggerating.
About this time, I found this recipe when Kate at The Small Things Blog posted a link. I decided to take her suggestion and add some chicken and give it a try. I made a few adaptations the second time I made it, so feel free to do the same. Add stuff you like. Take out stuff you don’t like.
I’ve eaten it every day for lunch since then. A huge bowl of it. I may add some pita chips, fruit or cheese to the side. Or not. It’s that sustaining.
This salad also keeps really well – even the avocado! I usually make it on Sunday and it’s good all week.
Black Bean Avocado Salad
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups corn
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 package pre-cooked chicken breast strips
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the cucumber, black beans, corn, orange pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion and chopped cilantro in a bowl.
- Squeeze the fresh juice from the lime onto the salad & stir well.
- Mix in the chicken & avocado, season with salt and pepper.